top of page


ca homeschool application process begins 10/1/21

Homeschooling in California

The California Department of Education (CDE) does not provide guidance on how to home school; however, a lot of information on all aspects of home schooling is available online to assist those who are educating their children at home. In addition there are other resources such as California homeschool organizations and possibly local homeschool groups or meet-ups. The websites for these groups include information on various topics related to homeschooling such as legal issues, curriculum, recordkeeping, transcripts and diplomas, and much more. When you use the internet to search the term “California Homeschool” you will note that there are various different homeschool advocacy groups, both California-based and national, that can be a resource.

Parents who file the private school affidavit to privately educate or "home school" their children must select and provide all curricular, instructional, and other materials.

California Education Code (EC) Section 33190 requires a copy of the Affidavit be kept at the school. Requirements of what must be included in the Affidavit are also outlined in EC Section 33190. EC Section 48222 states:

"The attendance of the pupils shall be kept by private school authorities in a register, and the record of attendance shall indicate clearly every absence of the pupil from school for a half day or more during each day that school is maintained during the year."

Parents are not required to report to their school district. However, keeping in mind that the school district has responsibility for checking on school-age children not attending school, you might avoid confusion by informing the district that you intend to home school or privately educate your children. In addition, public school districts are required to verify that the private school affidavit filing requirements have been met in order to verify a child’s exemption from compulsory education. This typically involves providing the district with a copy of the filed affidavit.

Legs in Jeans


In California, there are several ways that parents educate their children at home:

  • through an existing private school,

  • through a public charter or independent study program,

  • and in many instances by opening their own private home based school and filing the Private School Affidavit (PSA) with the California Department of Education (CDE).

Kids with Backpacks


The following is for informational purposes only and provides links to educational resources related to public education.

The California Content Standards and Common Core Content Standards identify and describe the skills, knowledge, and abilities that all California students should be able to master at each grade level, beginning in kindergarten and continuing through grade twelve.

The California Curriculum Frameworks provide guidance on how to teach the standards.

Parents schooling at home and exploring a student’s next steps after high school might check with specific colleges, technical schools and prospective employers (e.g., branches of the U.S. military) to learn about student admission or eligibility. Understanding how post-secondary institutions and prospective employers recognize course work completed in alternative education settings is important for parents/guardians considering home school for their high school student.

Alternative diploma equivalencies for students not attending public school include the General Education Development (GED) Test and the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE). For information about the GED and CHSPE, please visit the respective Web sites.

Happy Childhood
Special education
VR Goggles

Be You

FREE Virtual Private School


Private School Affidavit (PSA) Information

A parent offering or providing private school instruction and who meets the requirements of EC Section 33190 shall file an Affidavit. Parents/guardians planning to file for an exemption to school at home should read the Frequently Asked Questions, “Schooling at Home."

Filing the Affidavit

Private School Affidavit (opens Oct 1)
Online filing system used by anyone wishing to file a PSA for the current school year. Note: If you’re unable to file the PSA online, please contact the Private School Data office for additional filing options.

Private School Affidavit Instructions
Instructions for completing the PSA.

Private School Affidavit Information
Information on filing and maintaining a PSA.

Independent Study

Independent study is a different way of learning. In independent study, a student is guided by a teacher but usually does not take classes with other students every day. The student works independently. The contact for information for Educational Options/Independent Study is noted below:

Independent Study and Alternative Programs of Choice
Educational Options Office
California Department of Education

Charter Schools

There are many public charter schools that offer more flexibility for students and parents and some that cater to those who are focusing on home-based instruction. You can search for charter schools using the California School Directory or the Charter School Locator.


Homeschooling in the US.
Choose your state or territory to get detailed information on how to withdraw from public school, homeschooling requirements including testing & mandatory subjects, plus resources and more.

Homeschool Laws By State (




You should follow the law of the state in which you are physically present. Why? When you are physically present in a state, even temporarily, you are subject to that state’s laws—and often to the jurisdiction of its courts. So you could be required to comply with that state’s homeschool law. This is true even if your legal residency is in another state and you are only living elsewhere temporarily (such as if you are an active member of the military completing a temporary assignment).



Yes. And it can be a great option! Whether your child is physically or mentally disabled or has a specific learning disability or a learning block, homeschooling may be the best option to help them thrive educationally. You may not be a special education expert, but you are an expert on your child. 


The answer depends on the laws of that country, since a country’s education laws apply to all children who reside there, whether or not they are citizens. Start by contacting me at We have information on homeschooling laws in many countries where such laws exist and insight into the general educational climate in many other countries. Even if homeschooling is not explicitly recognized by law, it may still be possible to homeschool. We may also be able to connect you with a homeschooling family or support organization in the country.

Military families stationed in a foreign country with which the United States has entered into a treaty (for example, NATO, or the North Atlantic Treaty Organization) may have different legal protections than are available to civilians or contractors.

7 Simple Steps to Start Homeschooling

available tomorrow, 9.23.21

bottom of page